Thursday, March 4, 2010

South African President Zuma calls Brits condescending imperialists

LONDON - MARCH 03:  Britain's Queen Elizabeth ...

Image by Getty Images via Daylife

South African President Jacob Zuma has risked sparking a diplomatic row after he described the British as condescending imperialists - just hours before meeting the Queen.

The 67 year-old accused the UK of feeling culturally superior - which he blamed on Britain's colonial past.

Zuma, who will spend two nights at Buckingham Palace for an official state visit that begins today, and is understood to be upset by recent reports of his colourful private life in the British press. Bear in mind that I'm a freedom fighter and I fought to free myself, also for my culture to be respected.

"And I don't know why they are continuing thinking that their culture is more superior than others, those who might have said so. I am very clear on these issues, I've not looked down upon any culture of anyone, and no one has been given an authority to judge others, The Telegraph quoted him, as saying in an interview to South Africa's Independent newspaper group.

"The British have done that before, as they colonised us, and they continue to do this, and it's an unfortunate thing. If people want an engagement, I'm sure we will engage on that ssue," he added.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Apture