Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The lowdown on Google Voice

Lindsay Holloway image

The other day I got a call from an unknown Los Angeles-area phone number. I don't normally answer calls from unknown numbers, so I let it go to voicemail. The caller didn't leave a message, but shortly after I got a text from the same number that read: "Hey babe, it's me. Save this number; it's my new Google Voice number." My boyfriend had just been granted his invite to Google Voice, the enhanced voice and data messaging application from Google that provides number management and communication services to users with numerous phone numbers. He had been patiently waiting after submitting his request for an invite just two days earlier. After a few quick steps, he was up and calling using his new number.

Personally, I had no interest in signing up for the free service because I only have one phone, but I immediately thought how great it would be for all the business owners out there who have to juggle various phones and numbers (home, office, mobile, etc.). So I decided to do some research and interrogate my Voice-user boyfriend, who has both a land line at home and a mobile phone.

The lowdown on Google Voice

Apture